Back to the Temple

Tonight I attended the temple for the first time in over 2 years. I took a family name and received the endowment for her. Her name is Mary Jane Hoover Minx (Kevin's GGGGrandma). She was born in January of 1827 in Mercer County, Pennsylvania. During the session I thought about her and what her life must have been like.
Her husband, Elijah, went to war in 1863 at the age of 44 years old. He was a farmer in Gallia County, Ohio. Her oldest child was 16 at the time and her youngest was 2. Same age range as me (but she had 7 total instead of 4!).
It makes me think about what my ancestors have sacrificed for their kids...their family...so that they could be better...live better. I can be better. I can do better.
Mary Jane didn't die until age 83. She lived a full life with her 7 children around her. I need to embrace my life and my children. It's all around me...
Thank you, Mary Jane, for reminding me about the blessings that I DO have.

Comments
Post a Comment